IT Focus Area: Business Innovation
August 1, 2018
3 Ways HPE is Delivering Digital Transformation in 2018
Thousands of attendees flocked to Las Vegas in June to attend HPE Discover 2018. This year’s event was laser focused on equipping businesses with the tools to compete in The Internet of Things (IoT), mobile and cloud spaces.
Here are the top three things we’ve learned from HPE’s recent announcements.
1. HPE is serious about IoT
Three letters sum up the future of connected technology: IoT. HPE recently announced it’s making major moves in this area. President and CEO, Antonio Neri will make HPE an official member of the billion dollar IoT club, with plans to invest $4 billion in intelligent edge over the next four years.
So, what is intelligent edge? HPE describes intelligent edge as the place in which data is generated, analyzed, interpreted and addressed. This technology helps organizations acquire, analyze and take action on real-time data as it’s being collected. The three major categories of intelligent edge are operational technology, IoT and IT, with IoT being the biggest and most popular.
According to IDC, by 2020, it is expected that more than 28 billion IoT devices will be in operation. We’re talking major growth here. With numbers like these, it’s no wonder HPE has set its sights on IoT-readiness initiatives.
2. HPE wants to make cloud more affordable
HPE just introduced the HPE GreenLake Hybrid Cloud, a new consumption experience designed to help customers manage and optimize their on/off premises clouds. Adopting hybrid IT can be costly and this new consumption model is designed to better balance IT flexibility, costs and control.
For better control, organizations often keep critical workloads on premises to effectively manage performance and compliance. Unfortunately, this method can lead to capacity-planning issues. Based on this popular IT practice, research indicates:
- 57% of enterprises stated that complaints about slow performance were a significant issue
- 50% of enterprises have suffered downtime as a result of poor capacity planning
- 59% is the average amount by which enterprises overprovision (and overpay for capacity)
HPE GreenLake Hybrid Cloud is a direct response to these challenges by cutting down complex management with an automated cloud operating model. This model also sets up processes to manage cloud resources in a variety of environments (AWS, Microsft Azure and more).
3. Aruba is digging its heels into digital transformation
As more organizations move beyond the traditional data center, Aruba, an HPE company, is setting its sights on helping companies modernize their branch networks.
Here’s what we know:
- The rise of IoT and mobility devices can have a significant impact on branch operators who face difficulties with managing both networks and security from multiple vendors
- IT needs to improve business workflows between WLAN, LAN, WAN, and security by modernizing architecture
- Connectivity and security risks continue to increase, especially for retail stores, medical clinics and hotels with limited staffing
- IT deployment and management resources are severely understaffed, yet they still need to meet business expectations
Essentially, Aruba’s SD-Branch solution integrates new Branch Gateways enhanced with the Aruba central cloud management platform, to provide a single point for SD-WAN. For good measure, the new offering provides a solid approach to security, by allowing IT teams to assign policies for specific device types to segment traffic.
In case you missed it, you can catch up on all of the announcements, panel discussions and presentations at HPE Discover 2018 here.
Your Path to Digital Transformation
The pace of change is rising exponentially and your customers expect an exceptional experience across all touch points. Companies that embrace digital capabilities transform themselves so they can survive and thrive in the new economy.
The first step towards a successful digital transformation journey is assessing the current state of your company. Find out where your organization currently falls within the digital maturity model, then create a strategy that caters to your business needs.